The Bundy Affair - Vetting the Millers (updated June 10, 2014)

The Bundy Affair - Vetting the Millers


Gary Hunt
Outpost of Freedom
June 9, 2014 (updated June 10, 2014)

Note: In the first article, I explained that all of the parties had not yet been contacted.  The article went to press because the efforts of Mainstream Media to tie the Millers to the Bundy Ranch had to be addressed, as early as possible.  Though I seldom put out a story until all of the necessary research is completed, this was an exception.  What follows is the same story as the first, though with corrections and clarifications, based upon input by the other parties that chose to provide what insight they had into the event.

The shootings that occurred in Las Vegas, on Sunday, June 8, 2014, were initiated by Jerad (age 31) and his wife, Amanda (age 22) Miller.  There has been speculation of ties between the Millers and the Operation Mutual Aid support of the Bundy family and ranch.  This is to set the record straight.

The Millers arrived at Bunkerville between April 12 and 14, though were never admitted to the ranch property or the operational militia base until the following events occurred.  After a few days, questions were raised by other participants about the Millers.  These questions were brought to the attention of Jerry DeLemus, Ryan Payne, and head of security on the Bundy Ranch, Booda.  They were then brought to the area of the ranch and were interrogated by Jerry DeLemus, Ryan Payne, and Booda

Jerad Miller admitted that he was a convicted felon.  The had a model 1911, 0.45-caliber handgun and a shotgun.  The interrogation was conducted based upon reports from other participants regarding the aggressive nature of the couple and the apparent volatility displayed by Jerad.

This first interrogation resulted in a subsequent meeting between DeLemus, Payne and Stobel, as well as Stewart Rhodes and Mike Vanderboegh.  The initial assessment was that they were not of the caliber of people needed to provide for the defense of the Bundy family and property.  They were first directed to go to Mesquite and report on what was occurring there.  Because of their disheveled appearance, Rhodes gave them "a couple hundred dollars" so that they could get a motel room, shower, and some new clothes, because they claimed that, they had given up jobs, their home, and were wearing the only clothes they possessed.

Prior to their leaving for Mesquite, it was determined that there might be a problem if they appeared to be working with the operation, and armed, so Miller's gun was put in a tent.

As the discussion continued, the realization that there could be more serious consequences if the Millers were associated with the operation, it was decided that they should be asked to leave the 'jurisdiction' of the operation.  Miller's gun was given to Amanda, as she was not a felon, and they were told to leave the area.  The operation was properly focused on defense of property and people, and did not have any facility, obligation, or right, to do other than what they did.

The Millers were sent on their way.  Never were the Bundys apprised of this situation.  It was dealt with by the shared command of the militia contingent that had evolved through the progression of the operation.

What subsequently developed is quite unfortunate.  However, the rapidly unfolding of events at the ranch did not diminish the necessity of proper vetting of participants.


This article can be found at The Bundy Affair - Vetting the Millers

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Mike Vanderboegh's take, from a previous article at:

"One afternoon a couple showed up at the camp: a young tattooed white male wearing a holstered pistol and his girlfriend toting a shotgun.  In the entrance interviews, which Jerry insisted upon mostly conducting himself, it developed that the guy was an admitted felon, but he didn't believe that it was constitutional to deny him his firearm rights.  This came with a long, sad story about how they had quit their jobs to volunteer for the Bundys and do their part.  Both Jerry and Stewart were inclined to accept their help until I called them over and explained the ramifications of accepting a self-admitted, armed felon into camp.  They were impressed by the man's "honesty and sincerity," in admitting up-front that he was a felon.  I said, among other things, that of course he admitted it.  If he hadn't, then they would have plausible deniability when later confronted about it.  By stating it up front, it was actually worse for them because they could not later deny having known that fact."

However, according to other reports, Mike was not the only one to bring others into reality and make the right decision.


Views: 97

Reply to This




© 2019   Created by Earl B.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service