social network for conservatives
A lot. We need to actually be conservative again, the way we were before Reagan came along. We've racked up more debt than ever imaginable and are leaving the dems to clean it up... things really flip flopped. We also need to lead again rather than mislead. Reagan lied to us, took away freedom of press and taught much of the party to do the same in order to undercut the dems. Our original ideas were to uphold the constitution, uphold ethics (not sell weapons to unstable nations, or make deals with Iran to hold our citizens hostage until we're sworn in), and fiscal responsibility. We need to also realize that sometimes we will actually AGREE with dems and when we do that's okay. It seems like the party always goes against the dems even when they are following our principles. It's like they can turn us into democrats by being republican. And we need to get back to supporting all citizens rather than just the rich (clearly Reaganomics was a bad idea, why were we listening to a B-movie actor anyway), and supporting all business rather than just the large, and promoting competition rather than monopolies. Think of Lincoln, and look we're we are now, we've lost our way.
Jim, Ron Paul and the John Birch Society are a little better than most Republican Leaders, but not by much in my present opinion. Here are some reasons why not.
1. They don't tend to regard God as the ultimate Authority and the Bible as the ultimate Document, but rather the Constitution (a human document), which they do not explicitly and frequently and in detail derive from the Bible. So the 10 Commandments and Cardinal Virtues/Sins tend to be repeatedly violated and will tend to be repeatedly violated as long as they have Power.
2. They don't tend to regard Self-Defense as having as high a priority as Morality/Ethics, Individualism, Wisdom including Strategy, and as being second only to God in importance.
3. What they do tend to regard as having highest priorities are: (1) restricting Military Self-Defense to violation of USA borders, and (2) saving Money. These are not derived from the Bible even remotely. Saving Money rather than wasting it in Bailouts and Foreign Giveaways and foreign Troop Occupation and non-Defense-related Big Government is Moral/Ethical almost always, but to allow Iranian nukes to keep being developed is Criminal, and not turning the Islamist nations into NO-MAN'S LAND via Barry Goldwater's "Bomb Them Back to the Stone Ages" (Air and Naval Bombardment and Special Forces type operations) is also Criminal.
4. The "Strict Interpretation of the Constitution" is only part of what we need - it's something like saying that "We will Strictly Worship the Founding Fathers." We can strictly interpret what the Founding Fathers believed, but that has to be compared and judged and evaluated in terms of the Bible explicitly including the 10 Commandments and Cardinal Virtues/Sins and the Self-Defense ideas of the Bible, and NO HUMAN BEINGS SHOULD BE WORSHIPED. God alone is to be Worshiped.
5. "MY CAREER ONLY" and "MY FAMILY ONLY" are not derived from or even in accordance with the Bible. The number of "Conservative Underground" members who seem to believe that they are, from another Forum Post and intermittent posts, seems incredible to me. Those who believe that are part of the Problem, not the Solution.
Jim Robinson said:One of the overriding issues seems to be that many people feel that the Republican Party has pretty much abandoned its Conservative base and roots. How do we bring Conservative reforms to a party that pretty much sees no need for such reforms? Are we expected to vote for another moderate like McCain and just cross our fingers and hope for Conservative reforms and change? Haven't Conservatives been down this road before with the Republican Party? I have to question whether voting for the lesser of two evils is truly wise or in America's best interests, and I question whether the Republican Party is truly our only last, great hope for stopping Obama (and I have been a card-carrying Republican my entire adult life). There are few Republican candidates (other than Ron Paul) that even strive to guide all of their actions and decisions by a strict and literal interpretation of the Constitution, and this gravely concerns me. I think there is too much at stake for us to trust a moderate Republican to restore our Constitutional freedoms and principles before we lose them entirely. I guess I'm just sick and tired of the statism and status quo in Washington between the "Republicrats." Where are the Conservative reforms in the RNC leadership?! I don't see them. Do any of you? The Republicans have abandoned us, and the Democrats have outright rejected us. So much for our vaunted 2-party system vanguarding our sacred freedoms and rights.
Osher, I agree with most of what you say but the Bible is also a "human" document as it was written by humans although it was under the inspiration of God and our Savior. I believe the Constitution is a document that was also inspired by our Creator. The Founding Fathers were the conduits to write it but that does not make it any less inspired. I also believe Christ gave us many more laws and guidelines after the Ten Commandments. But, yes, my God is the final authority in my life. As a conservative running for Congress in
Arizona CD8, I won't compromise my stance on the issues one iota. I hope you will visit www.GossforCongress.com and see if you agree with me on the issues. If you do, I hope you will donate to my campaign to stop not only Gabrielle Giffords, but B. Hussein Obama and his disastrous policies.